Despite the fact that today is Happy's first day of "In-Service" at school, I'll let him leave a post at some point about it. I'll just mention that yesterday we went there to clean out his supply closet. All I did was write the school's initials with a Sharpie on a bunch of cones and other such markers used by the school. Happy seemed pretty excited to have a bit more organization in his closet though. He did a good job making more accessible.
Back at my work, not much is new. I've been challenged by a few people to re-evaluate my job here. Do I really think I'll be content here for a few years? This is the big question in my mind right now. Although it definitely won't add much to my resume, I do believe the Lord has brought me here for a reason. I simply need to start using my time more wisely and concentrate on being thankful for the low-stress job He has provided. I would greatly appreciate prayers in this area for those who think of it! It may come down to me bringing "projects" to work on while I'm here, which I have been told is just fine. I also have the chance to get a lot of reading done. Maybe the Lord is allowing me to re-develop a love for reading (particularly after college where I didn't have much choice in the books I read, though many of them were great books!) or perhaps helping me to adjust to married life with a job that I don't take home with me at night. Who knows what He has planned for me here? All I know is that I need to be sure to praise Him for what He has provided and be a light for Him while He keeps me here. His plans are much better than mine and I can be content and thankful as I develop greater trust in Him!
It's just about lunch time for me so I'll finish this post for today. I hope all is well with those who like to keep up with our blog! By the way, we may not have internet in our apartment until the middle/end of September. Thankfully both of us will be able to use the internet at work, so keep checking our blog, leaving comments and emailing us! Have a lovely Monday!
1 comment:
Late September! Oh no!
I am glad to hear that Happy has started work. I know that holding pattern stage before a new job can be a drag. You find yourself stressed out even though you aren't doing anything, you aren't sure what to do to prepare, you're nevous, etc.
I have been thinking a lot about your job lately, in part because I have had my share of "low stress" jobs and because Mike is starting to think about what kind of work he wants to do when he is done with his MFA.
My only piece of advice is this: that the sense of engagement and excitement that comes from being truely challanged at work is really wonderful. I know that you have just come out of 4 years of that with college, but when you picture your life in the next few years, be sure to account for how you are going to get that daily sense of "wow! this is new and weird and how am I going to deal with it!" And I know this is a long way off, but if you are thinking about having children, there are kinds of work that are much more ammenable to family life than 9-5 (8-6?) jobs that require you to go into an office. If you start thinking about that now, by the time you want to stay home with your kids but need some income, you might be able to do something from home or something that has very flexible hours (here I am thinking of counseling or tutoring or fundraising and event management).
It sounds like for now at least, you have a nice job with nice people, and really that's pretty amazing for someone who graduated, like, yesterday. By the way, I love your blog. It's so nice to know what you are thinking about!
Post a Comment