3.01.2007

Colossians and Invoices

Last night at Bible study, we studied Colossians 3:15-17 and I realized that the Lord has been trying to teach me a lesson for a while now. Verse 17 along with 23-24 (which we haven't studied yet) have been playing over and over again in my mind since then. Actually, I decided to write out Col. 3:23-24 on a post-it note and put it on my computer at work:

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve."

I'm sure this is a typical thing for Christians to post on their computer at work, but I'm hoping that it serves to challenge me in my mundane work. I don't mean that to be a complaint, but honestly... who thinks stamping, coding, and entering invoices into a program is anything less than mundane? Exactly. Yet, God doesn't say to do my exciting work heartily. He doesn't qualify the "work" at all. So somehow I need to rejoice in stamping, coding and entering invoices knowing that "it is the Lord Christ whom [I] serve."

As I've been pondering this I'm reminded of those cheesy commercials about changing your career or getting a new degree. You know what I'm talking about.

Last night we talked a lot about thankfulness too, because it is mentioned in all three of the verses we studied. Often times it seems that once I stop focusing on the bad stuff and start thanking God for the good stuff, my attitude turns 180 degrees. Some of you may have seen this coming, but I decided that I need to play 12 Blessings about Stamping, Coding and Entering Invoices. I suppose this is one I've been putting off for a while.... Hopefully this challenges some of you, but mostly I'm sure it'll challenge me!

12 Blessings about Stamping, Coding and Entering Invoices

1. I have learned 10-Key and get A LOT practice with it almost every day.
2. It gives me the opportunity to help our A/P department with the massive amount of work they have.
3. I have learned a little more about the company I work for.
4. Doing something for the company makes me feel more like I'm "part of the team."
5. I have memorized many of the codes I use, which helps to exercise my terrible memory.
6. I have memorized many of the job names that go with the job numbers, which helps in sorting paychecks by job every Wednesday.
7. I am better able to sort the mail to the correct Project Managers.
8. It doesn't demand a high level of concentration, so I can multi-task more easily.
9. I get to open a whole bunch of mail every day!
10. I get two stamps that are mine--only mine :-)
11. I get to make a big mess every time I refill the ink in the stamps!
12. It is incredibly satisfying to finish a huge stack of invoices and then READ :-D

Phew... that took WAY too long. I won't tell you how long though... At the end I remembered that sometimes it's the small things you need to be thankful for. So, those are some of the things that I like. I am so cool. Right now I have a small stack of invoices to finish and then I'm going to read. Have a wonderful evening!

No comments: