It’s hard to know where to begin writing about something
that has been in process for years, but since I process better through writing,
I finally decided to write this all out. My purpose isn’t to glorify myself or
our circumstances, but to point others to the Lord. He has so patiently met me
and taught me in my weakest moments and revealed to me more and more of His
character in this process. There’s some pretty raw stuff in here as I've sought to be open, but please understand that I am not glorifying my sin, or seeking
approval from others. I’ve been talking more and more with other women and new
moms lately, sharing parts of this story at times, and have felt convinced that
I should share how God has worked in my life and what He has patiently taught
me so others can love and serve Him better and know they aren't alone in their struggles. For those who take the time to read
this (as it will likely be quite long), I hope it encourages you to seek the
Lord and never give up asking Him for the desires of your heart. I hope it
challenges you to lean on Him each and every day, knowing He is good and he
never leaves or forsakes His children. I hope it reminds you that He is worthy
of ALL of your trust and that it is good to fight to believe He is trustworthy.
If you have no idea what I’m talking about, I hope this gets you thinking and
wondering about the God I serve, the God of the Bible, Maker of Heaven and
Earth and YOU and ME. He is not far off or distant and wants us to run to Him
and know Him through His Word.
The story starts long before this, but I’ll begin with the
birth of my first daughter: Alice. I had a very hard time bonding with her. I
didn’t feel the immediate adoration that I’d heard of and thought I’d seen again
and again in other moms. I felt lost, confused… pressure. I didn’t know what I
was doing and I didn’t just “fall in love” with my daughter. I figured
something must be wrong with ME for feeling this way and was too scared and
prideful to let anyone into my whirlwind of a world. I pushed my church family
away because I felt ashamed that I didn’t simply “get” motherhood. I pushed my
husband away because he didn’t know how to help. I pushed God away for “making”
me go back to work full-time when I clearly needed to figure out what I was
doing. It was a rough start to parenting.
By the time Alice’s first birthday rolled around, I knew I
was pregnant before I took the test. We were excited. I was scared. It felt
like Emma’s first year of life I was constantly asking myself “WHAT DID I
DO?!?” While bonding with Emma came a bit easier, largely due to feeling less
guilty since I was home with our two girls, it certainly wasn’t easy having her
plugged into the wall for the first week of her life as her tiny body fought
jaundice. Those lights (baby spatulas, as we came to call them) were incredibly
frustrating and disheartening and I wondered if I could really do this whole
thing again when I already felt like a failure of a mother. Clearly I lacked
something really motherly-important because these two beautiful girls God had
entrusted to me felt like more of an inconvenience or disruption than a
blessing or gift from Him. I just wanted to sleep! I just wanted my body back!
I just wanted some quiet! Once again, I pushed God away and tried to muster up
all the motherliness I possibly could.
Not surprisingly, I became the kind of mom I never wanted to
be: easily frustrated, unhappy and often losing my temper and yelling at little
people who had expectations placed on them that were beyond unrealistic. So
when I found out I was pregnant for the third time, just after Emma’s second
birthday, I wasn’t excited at all. I dreaded “how I could do this” and prayed
that God would somehow work out all the obstacles that I saw in our lives
before we could have three children. He answered my prayer, but certainly not
the way I’d hoped or expected. Josiah Nathanael, our first son, quietly slipped
away and met Jesus face to face long before we said goodbye. I watched my
husband process by reading God’s Word so often that I wondered if he was really
actually “processing” the grief. But I realized that he didn’t know what else
to do, just like me, so he clung to the Lord. Blissfully aware of my bias, I’m
sure my husband is one of the most amazing people I’ve ever met, but he’s not
God. It hit me that I’d been putting God-sized expectations on my husband, when
that was clearly never his role. So, he led me by quiet example and I quietly
followed. Those days and weeks were a blur of tears and guilt and hiding myself
under the shadow of the wings of my Great Comforter. I became determined not to
push God away after loss when I had pushed Him away after blessings. Since I
had no clue what to do with this “determination,” I read and listened to God’s
Word a whole stinking lot. I focused on the promises that He hadn’t left me, He
comforts and He gives us a future hope. I memorized and frequently recited to
myself a handful of bible passages and prayed earnestly for another son. I so badly
wanted to see the kind of little boy we would have and watch the man I adore
raise a son to be just like him. Yet I saw myself as the “weak link” in our
family. My husband loved our girls so well, right from the start, and here I
was, ruining them. I also began thinking more and more about foster care,
though wasn’t fully convinced I could do it.
As the year drew to a close, we did begin to seriously pray
about fostering and started an initial application, only to find out weeks
later that I was pregnant again, which brought foster certification to a
screeching halt. After losing Josiah and having never “felt” pregnant with him,
I was very sensitive to the lack of pregnancy symptoms this time around. I never
felt sure this baby would live and was less surprised when my intuition proved
correct. Baby #4 never got a name from us and never grew past six weeks. While
this loss was less unexpected for me, it was much harder in some ways. Not many
knew of this loss, so I felt more compelled to plaster a smile on my face and
pretend everything was fine. I became convinced that our second loss was also a
boy and maybe I couldn’t have boys. Maybe there really was something more
“wrong” with me than I thought and I needed to focus on thanking God for the
healthy girls He already gave me and pursue becoming a foster mom. As we
processed through our grief and attempted to help our girls do the same, we
talked and prayed more and more about fostering. It seemed like the question
that constantly entered my mind was “why SHOULDN’T we foster?” instead of my
previous “why SHOULD we foster?” Up to this point I’d thought we needed to have
a special draw towards it, or have always wanted to do it. As we prayed and
waited, the Lord was patiently teaching me that I wasn’t the “weak link”
because He had already made me new through Jesus. God had provided a three-bedroom
condo for us to rent at a price well below market value (with my very own
WASHER AND DRYER!) and provided a minivan for us. He had plans and they weren’t
finished. He continued growing me in my relationships with my girls and even
now keeps reminding me that He gives me what I need each day, each hour, each
minute… if I just ASK!
We pursued foster certification even as I wrestled with
feeling as though I had somehow failed my husband by not giving him a son. And
then I would feel guilty like somehow my girls were a consolation prize. How
awful. Meanwhile those two girls were (and still are!) growing into caring,
considerate, fun-loving, beautiful young ladies. I can’t imagine our family
without my best little “helpers.” Yet, I still wrestled back and forth between
feeling a failure and the guilt but was too afraid to continue asking God to
give us a son. I thought maybe I could have another daughter, but we just
needed to be content and thankful without a son. In hindsight, I think I was
too afraid to ask God for a son because I didn’t believe He could be THAT good
or THAT loving. After all, I’d known plenty of women who had struggled with
infertility and prayed for years (some are still praying) for healing and a
child. Here I was with two healthy girls, struggling to love them well, and
discontent with the blessings God had given me. I believed God loved me, but
didn’t owe me a single answered prayer, least of all for a son I would likely
ruin!
After the summer, our foster certification process really began
and we accepted our first short-term placement of a sibling set in April. It
was NOT pretty. I realized then that we weren’t in a place to foster a sibling
set, so we changed our profile to singletons. Our second placement only lasted
eight days, but our third placement began just a few hours after #2 was
reunified with his parents. Little Dude came to us June 15, 2016, one month
before his first birthday and weighing in at 27 pounds. He had the longest
eyelashes I’d ever seen and was a pretty easy-going baby from the start.
However, his easy-going temperament didn’t change the wrestling in my heart. I
found myself resenting him for being born. How ridiculous I feel just writing
that! He and I have gone up and down on this roller coaster of grief and foster
care unknowns. There were days, sometimes weeks, when getting through a day
with him felt only barely possible.
During this time we began studying the book of Isaiah at
church. It felt like every week we were talking about trusting God and every
week I would cry and beg God to help me truly trust Him: most especially for
our family and the number of children we would have, biological or adopted.
Little Dude and I would have some good days and some bad days, but we were getting
used to each other. Part of God’s working through the Isaiah series was
regarding my attempt to control the timing of another possible pregnancy. The
Lord kept challenging me that He was the one in control all along, no matter
what I did that made me feel like I had set my plans in motion. So we stopped
preventing pregnancy. Having gotten pregnant four times before without any
issues or delays, I anticipated a positive test the very next month. How little
I had learned about Who was really in control! Several months went by and each
month, with every new sermon in Isaiah, I cried and prayed that I would trust
God in the waiting and remember that He alone is the Author and Sustainer of
life. Isaiah 26:3 grabbed my heart during this time: “You keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” Oh, how I longed for
that perfect peace! Yet here I was, anxious and wishing somehow I could just
know what was ahead. Will I ever have another biological child? Will I be a
failure of a wife that couldn’t have the four children we hoped and planned
for?
Then October came. October has historically been a difficult
month since I moved to California as I miss my formerly treasured autumns in
New England, but now I mourn the loss of Josiah and his little brother or
sister because they weren’t born that month. Coupled with the Isaiah series and
a handful of other (perfectly orchestrated) events, I was so glad to finally
enter November and put the emotional mess behind me. But that’s when we saw the
positive test!
1 comment:
That was very well said and from the heart. It was also eye opening from God. I have been praying since I found out about this last pregnancy. God has granted you all so much including the love you give to everyone.
Post a Comment