10.03.2012

Ten Day Forecast

Shows NO temperatures in the 90s! In fact there are FOUR days with the high in the 70s. SO THANKFUL.

Lately I keep thinking that being a parent (especially of young children-since I don't know what it's like to be a parent of older children) is more about teaching me patience and consistency than it is about actually teaching my children anything. This isn't a new revelation, just back in my mind for the ba-zillionth time. Sure, I'd like to think that on some level they are learning obedience which will some day teach them how to be respectful to any authority God places over them; but really I'm realizing that I still have a long way to go in becoming Christ-like. A. Long. Way.

Why is it so hard to show people that I don't have it all together? What is it about appearing "in control" that is so important? In talking with other moms who are willing to be open about their own struggles, I have yet to find ANYONE who has it all together. There are days that go great, but everyone has those days that they want to pretend didn't happen. It could be the kids were absolute disasters, or it could be that I had a horrible (SINFUL) attitude and took it out on those I love most.

I don't know how to balance sharing my struggles in a productive, please-pray-for-me sort of way. I don't know how to say that it's hard and I fail and sometimes I don't like my kids without it sounding like complaining. I don't want people to feel like they have to tell me to "hang in there" (because, really, what does that even mean?) or "this too shall pass." If I'm honest with myself, I know it won't be like this forever. I want to be able to look back on these times with fondness rather than thinking "Phew! I made it!"

I want to be able to encourage others that are a few steps behind me in this raising-a-family business. I want to listen, really listen, when another young mom is sharing her own struggles. I want to tell her that I've been there and there is a way to please God in the midst of it. I want to remind her to find ways to be thankful and to dwell on the good things. It's way too easy to find things to complain about or make my life seem hardest or to think no one understands. In fact, my life is not the hardest and my God has abundantly blessed me and HE understands.
"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it" (1 Cor. 10:13).
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Heb. 13:5).

No comments: