10.18.2012

Restoration

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23

This psalm has been on my mind a lot today. Mostly "my cup overflows." I am so thankful for my husband, our children, our church, our home, our friends. Often I feel like a roller coaster of emotions but I think it's a girl thing. And God made me with these emotions to serve Him in and through them. I am overwhelmed at how He works in and through His children.

One of my annual struggles which happens around this time of year is missing the autumn leaves of New England where I grew up. This was always my favorite time of year. I loved the cool, crisp, quiet mornings. I loved crunching through the leaves in the woods and the overwhelming aroma of "fall" when you walked outside. I loved wearing sweaters, scarves and hats. I loved apple picking and spiced cider and pumpkin carving. And almost none of that happens the same way in southern California.

But I can still rest in the Lord as my shepherd. He restores my soul even when it doesn't feel possible in the hustle and bustle of my life.

2 comments:

~~~ said...

I like that Psalm. I'm not sure I've ever read the whole thing before. That's the whole, right?

Amy said...

Yes, that's the whole thing. It's one of my favorites :-)