After the last few posts of our Mexico updates, it feels like I just got back from the trip! I've been re-reading my journal entries too, which brings me right back to when and where I wrote them. Plus, I finally finished writing the update letter which many of the people who read this will be getting soon :-)
Even though it's been more than a month since we returned, the lessons the Lord taught me are still in the forefront of my mind. Rather than make a list of things, I'm going to focus on a few larger points. First, our trip to Mexico confirmed in my own heart that God has given me the gift of encouragement. It feels a little weird to talk about this, but hopefully I can accurately reflect the fact that this is a gift from God. It's my responsibility and privilege to serve as an encouragement to those around me. I learned that when I see a person who needs encouragement (which happens a lot--I'm not sure if it's because I'm more aware of it or if God puts these people specifically in my path... or both?) and I don't do what I can to encourage them, I am telling God I don't want Him to use me. Essentially I am telling God that I don't want to be used the way He intended to use me (see 1 Cor. 12:15-17).
Second, I was encouraged greatly by the people in our team, the church in Bernal and the church/school in Mexico City because of their heart for God. I know that's a phrase that is used often in Christian circles, but let me define what I consider a "heart for God." Someone with a heart for God has God's Word hidden in their heart so they won't sin against Him. They seek to follow Christ's example of humility, serving rather than wanting to be served. They don't complain when they are tired, but persevere, praying to God for strength. Not only that, but they do all of this with joy. Now obviously no one will do this perfectly, and I'm not saying that any of the people I was with did all of this at all times. But it happened so much that I couldn't help but praise God for His work!
Third, it was such a blessing to get to know Richard and Starla Kull a little bit better! Happy had more of an opportunity to do this since he stayed at their home, but I think we both realized (again) that missionaries are regular people serving in another part of the world. They aren't super-Christians, immune to sin. They have a heart to serve where they are and they do it. Unfortunately, it's too easy to get comfortable in the Land of the Free and then we start to think we're entitled to things and then we want more. Richard and Starla were examples to me of contentment. They don't have a lot, but they are thankful for how God has provided for them--and they serve Him. It's pretty humbling to see that kind of example lived out.
I think everyone knows I could write a lot more, but I'll end with these three. Perhaps you've noticed that Happy hasn't posted in... a long time. He's been working at Liberty for the summer (when we're here) doing maintenance so he doesn't exactly have a lot of free time during the day. When he gets home he works on his class and soon will be preparing for the start of the school year. Perhaps with LOTS of comments to encourage him, he may take a short time to update you on his take on the Mexico trip... or Hawaii... or life in general, but he might need a good amount of comments........ hint... hint.... ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment