The whole thing started when I went to our doctor and found out my insurance hadn't completely gone through yet. After a few phone calls and talking with the receptionist in the doctor's office, I learned that the doctor doesn't actually do allergy tests. After leaving work early to find this out I was a bit frustrated and called my boss, Rebecca, to let her know. She then called a bunch of allergists and dermatologists to see if anyone could take me today. Finally she found the one in Long Beach (Dr. Ochsner) and we went, after I picked Happy up to go with me. I thought perhaps I might not be ok to drive home after the scratch test.... Good hunch I'd say.
When we got to the allergist there were a few people in the waiting room, so we just sat and read our books for a while. Once it was my turn, Dr. Ochsner brought me in, looked in my ears ("Nice ears!") and nose ("Not so nice nose...") and then listened to me breathe. He asked if I ever have trouble breathing and I said only a little when I'm around cats for a while. Then he explained to me how the scratch test works. It's actually not a scratch, but a puncture... with a needle. As he pulled out six different bottles, he explained to me that he'd test out six different things I might be allergic to. He drew three red lines on my left forearm and then proceeded to stick me with six different needles and substances--one on each tip of the three red lines.
At this point I should mention that Dr. Ochsner was probably easily in his 60s and an extremely kind and friendly man. He definitely had that grandfatherly way about him and I felt very comfortable with him.
Before he started I told him I really don't like blood. He said I should be fine. After the first shot I said I really don't like needles either. He proceeded to tell me that he used to not like them either, but after so many years and experiencing such wonderful things from needles (i.e. birth), he has sort of gotten over it. "Plus," he said, "it helps to be on the other end of the needle!"
The fifth and sixth ones felt like they took forever. I had my eyes closed and was digging my right index fingernail into my right thumb to distract myself from the needle poke. It didn't work. When he finished the sixth one he said, "Alright, you can go back into the waiting room with your husband." I staggered out and collapsed into the first chair, which happened to be two seats away from where Happy was sitting. He gently said, "Come sit next to me..." While I did hear him, I didn't respond because I was concentrating on not vomiting or passing out. After a minute he said, "Ok, I'll just move then..." By then I had put my head down again between my legs and was asking where the bathroom was. Happy got up and glanced around, but it was too late. I puked right there on the carpet of the waiting room. Thankfully there were no other patients waiting there.
Dr. Ochsner, as Happy said, wasn't fazed by my vomit and calmly brought out paper towel after paper towel--wet ones and dry ones, for me and the carpet. Happy cleaned it up and could definitely tell I had eaten strawberry yogurt. Interestingly enough, I felt much better afterwards. Dr. Ochsner said it usually works that way. (I think he knew that and was just helping me to get to the point of vomiting!)
After a few minutes the doctor brought me back in from the waiting room and explained to me the welts that were developing on my arm from the shots. Five of them were ones he thought I'd be allergic to and one was an injection that he knew I wasn't allergic to (as a point of comparison with the others). I got a 100%! I was allergic to all five of the injections, but the most allergic to rye grass, which was like a mini-continent on my forearm. The others were just little islands--dust mite, Chinese oak (I think), and tumbleweed were ones I remember. Tumbleweed was the next largest welt. He then brought us outside to the parking lot to show us what Chinese oak looked like. Soon, we learned about all of the trees in the parking lot, from this knowledgeable doctor. Meanwhile, I'm sneezing every 5 seconds or so and in dire need of a tissue, which is waiting for me back inside the office. When we got back inside, I grabbed several tissues and Dr. Ochsner explained my allergies a bit more.
Apparently my nose is super healthy because it has been working 24 hours a day to deal with all the pollen in the air. That, however, means that I am exhausted all the time because my body keeps trying to fight the pollen. He also explained that I have a slight case of asthma, but if we deal with my nose, the asthma should never be much of a problem. So, he gave me free samples of two different nose sprays (Nasonex and Astelin, for those who are interested) and told me how to spray properly (nose to toes and opposite hands). He did one dose for me and then explained that it could make me feel drowsy, but might not. We went home (Happy drove) and I basically felt like I'd been attacked and was indeed exhausted, but not from the nose spray, as I have since learned. The scratch test wore me out.
So, the next morning (yesterday) I woke up to a swollen and burning hot forearm, along with tingly fingers. I went to work, cried on the way (because I called my mom and started thinking I might need to have my arm amputated or drained with a huge needle), and then called Dr. Ochsner when the office opened. They said I could come back in and he'd take a look at it. I did and he gave me Benadryl and said to put heat on my arm to increase circulation. I then decided to go home for the day and conk out with the Benadryl. Over the last few days I think I've slept more than I've been awake! Last night the swelling moved up to my elbow a bit more and the inside of my elbow is a bit fat. But, the redness has lessened and my arm isn't as burning hot as it was yesterday. Still, it's pretty heavy and tight, and I'm looking forward to it getting back to normal! It's been quite an exciting week for me, but the good news is, the nose sprays are helping a lot--and my arm does not need to be drained with a huge needle or amputated :-) Thank you for all your prayers and concerns!
4 comments:
Oh NO!!!! This sounds AWFUL!! I thought you are supposed to feel better after you go to the Dr!! Did they say why your arm swelled up so? Was that a further allergic reaction? I hope you get better real soon!!
Love dad
PS I sent some pictures of my last Dan weekend . We went for a little hike. Tons of Fall foliage in nH pictures!!
Amy dear,
I am so glad for this blog, yesterday's blog had me down and not entirely sure Andrew would be able to be appropriately sympathetic to your being under the weather. A test to be sure, so early in your marriage! I kept laughing during today's blog, you are so descriptive. The doctor was probably wise to deal with your fear of needles and blood the way he dideven though it didn't seem nice.
So, will you be finding out if you are allergic to anything else as well? My husband and I briefly thought that maybe your gets-no-ventilatlion bathroom could mean a case of mold and that would be a problem. Did the dear doctor say that your allergy is worse this time of year, or what? Does Orange County pose a problem or being nearer the beach? Humidity? This is my time of year where I am more susceptible(?) to sinus problems. Andrew and Scott were more sickly in winter months and Trev, well Trev never met a time of year that he didn't have something, even if only "habit cough" (December)!!
Pan-Pacific has been just amazing to you, I hope you can be given more challenging tasks there to keep your interest level high, be patient, long-suffering and all that! I have been having my trials and tribulations at work, but where else can I work and earn the discounted tuition I do, work part-time and have summers off?? We are praying for you much, for Andrew too.............Love,
Mom
Amy I am in the library reading this and I totally started to laugh out load when i read the part about you thinking your arm was going to be amputated! I am glad it is getting better... I used to take Nasonex too and it helped a lot. BTW... I am going up to Ruth's house this weekend and Abigail might be coming.... I dont know if you can come but I just wanted to let you know you are invited!
i meant loud not load :)
Post a Comment