3.19.2012

Moving

As I mentioned in the last post, we're moving. It's less than two weeks away now and thanks to my wonderful husband and my awesome mom-in-law, we have started packing! Last week we finally were able to go into a two bedroom apartment at the complex we're moving to. It wasn't our apartment, but it had the same (actually mirror image) floor plan. We took measurements so I could make my graph paper, to-scale apartment drawing. Yes, I'm that cool. I do this with every apartment and have made little cut outs of each piece of furniture we own (which are also to scale) so I can "rearrange" the rooms without actually moving anything heavy. I think it's smart, but some think it's a little OCD. I'm okay with that.

The night before we measured the apartment I could hardly sleep because I was so anxious about our furniture fitting. The night after we measured the apartment I could hardly sleep because I was so anxious about our furniture fitting--it apparently didn't fit. The night after the night after we measured the apartment I could hardly sleep because I was so anxious about our furniture fitting--we might have found a way.

Three nights of interrupted, unsettled sleep is not good. Then I got two more nights of less-than-good sleep while attending our church's women's retreat. Silly me, I thought bringing Emma wouldn't be a big deal. Oi.

Today Emma got her first round of vaccines and turned into a NIGHTMARE this afternoon, fever and all. Alice was a peach too. Granted, I got more sleep last night than the whole weekend combined; but it's interesting what two screaming babies will do to a severely sleep-deprived person.

Okay. I cried.

But the Lord keeps bringing to mind Philippians 4:6-7...
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Honestly, I haven't had much peace in the past week. The retreat this weekend was all about finding Joy in the Journey. What I heard of it (when Emma cooperated) challenged me to look for the joy of each day, even when at the end of that day my head is pounding and I can't remember if I ate or drank anything at all. At the end of those days I'm blessed to have two beautiful girls who are growing and learning and giving their mommy so many reasons to smile. And I have a hard-working husband who sacrificially gives us everything he's got. So after we get both girls to bed and he's got homework to do, we decide tonight is a good night for a card game.

He's going down.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Purposeful parenting, it is worth it. I wish I had done soooo much more of that.

You do have two beautiful daughters and that husband of yours, what a jem. I am thankful for you Amy and confident our Lord will provide all you need to be the Mommy, wife and born again believer that you are.

Tomorrow is another day, you get to start all over again!!

Love, your awesome mom in law (!!)

Anonymous said...

Joy in the Journey or Joy with Journey...along with that peace, don't stop believin'. Ha ha!

Card game? What kind of card game? Baseball cards? Football cards? Those are the only card games I know other than Authors which is really fun to play.

Dad Gilmore

Susan said...

Your post made me cry, too. I remember days, prolonged days, very much like yours and I cried, then and now thinking of it and wishing I could be there to give you a hug. I know it's not much, but I know a hug from my mom at those times, would've made me feel a whole lot better. But it wasn't possible. Just know that all us moms have endured the hard stuff for the sheer joy that children do bring and it's all worth it. I wouldn't change a thing except I wish I could be there a little more often. Love you and your beautiful girls and awesome, helpful husband and I give thanks that your equally awesome mom-in-law can be there to give you a hug for me! Thank you , Robin! ps: Did you play Cribbage?

Amy said...

Thank you all for the encouragement! Yesterday was another rough day, but today is going better. Granted, I wasn't with them for a couple hours this morning and Andrew was home until lunch. We'll see how the afternoon goes!

We were going to play cribbage but it was getting to late so we played Spit (or Speed). And, yes, he went down. Two games.

Anonymous said...

Umm......*gem*

Your welcome,Sue.