3.23.2012

Contentment

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. Philippians 4:11

I struggle with the fact that the Lord brought me to California and seems to actually want to keep me here. Today I was talking with a dear friend and the Lord brought to mind Paul's attitude mentioned here. I wonder if Paul ever wished he had a home or a family? Did he ever wish that he had ONE local church to which he belonged and lived life with? No one is perfect, but I suspect he actually WAS content with the life God gave him.

Recently I left the girls home with my wonderful husband and took a walk by myself to clear my head. I walked for two hours and realized about 30 minutes into the walk that I was looking for a place to be alone with the Lord. Everywhere I went I saw people and cars and busyness. I finally ended up at a park where I sat and attempted to block out all the other noise around me and focus on God's creation. It was SO HARD. Discouraged and frustrated, I got up and went home.

When I first became a Christian I spent a good deal of my time in the woods behind my house in New Hampshire. I read my Bible, prayed, wrote in my journal and marveled at God. Those times were so sweet. Almost 13 years later I still remember my "spot" in those woods.

So. Now what?

Life doesn't look like that anymore. I live in southern California only miles away from Disneyland. God put me here intentionally. He knows how hard it is to find time away from the hustle and bustle, but He still wants to meet with me. He wants me to sacrifice my preferences and learn to silence the noise around me so I can become more like His Son. Right here. Right now.

No comments: