Even though Happy already provided a link to another blog, I'm going to do the same. This blog has challenged my thinking nearly every time I read it and today's post was a sobering one. Even if you don't want to read the whole thing, I'd like to quote the last couple lines:
...the ultimate goal in life should not be to get well, to get a raise, to get married, or to get whatever. The point of life is to die. It is not he who dies with the most toys, that wins, but he who dies most to himself.
Since graduating from college and starting a job that is slightly less glamorous than I had imagined, I've frequently questioned my purpose here. But why would I question it? There is nothing in Scripture that says I am to die to self only if I have a job that seems worthy--only if I'm a missionary in a third world country--only if I'm serving faithfully in the church. It seems my focus has shifted. Who am I to question God's plan for me at this point in my life? And who am I to serve Him less heartily if I'm doing something monotonous or even
May the Lord teach me to "Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you" (1 Thes. 5:16-18).
4 comments:
I think one thing that's important to remember along these lines is that life and living are wonderful gifts; our education, food, and comfortable american lifestyle is had at the expense of a lot of other people's hard hard work and difficult lives.
In order to not squander these gifts, I believe not a moment or day should pass when we don't do our absolute utmost to make this world as safe, mysterious, and wonderful for everyone. This means constantly challenging ourselves to effect the most positive change that we can muster - in all our jobs, relationships, activities, and purchases.
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.
I Corinthians 15:58-59
Thanks, these words have encouraged me as I reflected on them in relation to my own life.
Post a Comment