9.13.2006

Are they still married?

Ironic that this was the question I overheard from one of my co-workers yesterday, on the 25th anniversary of my in-laws (Happy Anniversary!!!). The answer to the question was a surprised "Yeah, I think so!" as if marriages lasting very long is uncommon. I suppose it is uncommon. I've heard all those statistics about marriages ending in divorce and even very similar statistics with Christians, but this should not be--right?

Don't get me wrong, Christians aren't any different from the rest of the world in that we can hold our marriages together on our own. The glue that should and does hold Christian marriages together is nothing but the grace of God. Christians are constantly being changed by the Holy Spirit, progressing in sanctification and becoming more like Christ through the Bible and prayer. It is part of God's design that we change and married couples are to change alongside one another, reflecting the light of Christ both individually and as a couple.

But all that is much easier said than done. Christians still sin, even against their spouses! But God has called us to a higher standard and has given us the example of Christ to follow: "who although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross" (Phil. 2:6-8).

I pray that the Lord continues to strengthen our marriage and I am so thankful for the godly example of my in-laws. Congratulations on 25 years of marriage! May the Lord bless you with many years to come (and grandchildren in due time)!

No comments: