I know, it's been a long time since we posted, and even longer since I've posted. I could write about what's been going on in my life, but I'd rather write about what's been going on in my head lately--memories.
About this time of year is my favorite time of year. Growing up in New Hampshire, this is the season when the leaves started changing colors and the temperature began to drop. The air smelled crisp and fresh and cool. I LOVED it. My mom once told me that she thought I was her most "New Englandy" child and was surprised that I've ended up in southern California. I think that some times it's good to recognize that the Lord has plans that may be different than what we want, and that's okay. But I do still get my "autumn fever" (it's a bit like spring fever, except I get it in the fall :-D).
On Saturday, Mike (my brother) came to visit and we drove to Oak Glen, in the mountains, to pick apples. Two weekends ago I went up to the mountains for the Ladies' Retreat with my church. I must say that the 45 degree evening that we found ourselves in when we arrived was simply delightful. The whole weekend was on the chilly end (upper 40s to lower 50s in the daytime and upper 30s to lower 40s at night) and while many of the women expressed their belief that it was freezing, I enjoyed being brought back to New England autumn weather. It was wonderful!
The events of the past two weekends has brought me to thinking about memories. I keep finding myself reminiscing about anything and everything in my past--from 8 years old to 23. Just a little while ago I was crocheting at my desk and watching a slide show of pictures run across my computer screen. There were pictures of my family visiting for Tom's graduation from boot camp in July. There were pictures from apple picking on Saturday. There were pictures from our wedding and several of the weddings we've been to over the past year. There were pictures of friends we still talk to and ones we've lost track of. But, they all made me smile as I thought about the memories.
What's the point of all this? I think I'm starting to realize that my memory is an incredible gift from God. Even if I can't list out the events of my life or tell you about each particular birthday or holiday, it's such a blessing to be reminded of some sweet memory and smile as I play it out again in my mind. I think of how the Bible talks about itself and how the stories of old are for us to learn from. They are examples for us to follow. We talked about God's faithfulness at the Ladies' Retreat and how it's good to look back and remember ways that God has been faithful in your life. We wrote out lists to help us remember and then spent time thanking God for all the ways He has worked in our lives. Since then I've been trying to enjoy every moment. Some days my focus is better than others, but today I was thinking how blessed I have been.
I grew up in a home with a mom and a dad who loved me and worked hard. We had a home and always had food to eat and clothes to wear. We went to excellent schools and each received a quality education. My siblings and I had fun together--playing "Clean-up Crew" and climbing trees, sledding in the winter and jumping in piles of leaves in the fall, playing tag with the neighbors' kids and waiting for the school bus in the morning. We grew up camping a lot, fishing with mom & dad in the canoe and finding earthworms and salamanders under damp leaves. We went to the beach and teased dad when he couldn't find the blanket without his glasses on. We visited cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents when we could and spent time with family friends. We had cookouts, pool parties and picnics, went on hikes, bike rides and hayrides and I loved it all!
Then I went to college all the way out in California. Every time I hear the song "Wide Open Spaces" by the Dixie Chicks (by the way, I'm not a big country music fan) it reminds me of my mom as I left for college because it was her song for me. College was another blessing as I met many Christians who had walked with the Lord longer than me and wanted to help me learn what I was doing. I had professors who invested in me both inside and outside of the classroom and new friends who wanted to love me and get involved in my life. I learned about and studied the Bible in class and on my own and the Lord has been faithful every step of the way. Then I got to spend an entire semester studying in Israel! What a blessing to read the Bible and be in the place where it actually happened! It was already an amazing semester, but God decided in His great grace to allow me to meet and get to know my husband during this time. I can confidently say that I wouldn't have picked Happy out of a crowd, but now I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world! He has been the biggest blessing of my life (aside from the Lord saving me) and I couldn't find words to express how thankful I am that God brought us together. Happy continues to be a godly example to me on a daily basis as he seeks to serve our Heavenly Father in all he does. To top it all off, I've been a part of three church families that have loved me and encouraged me and given me opportunities to serve the body of Christ.
This post is getting pretty long, but I hope it has challenged some of you to look back over your life and thank God for all that He has done and continues to do. It's too easy to become focused on myself. It's too easy to forget all the ways I've been blessed and gifted. It's too easy to get comfortable and discontent and always want more. I hope you spend some time today thinking over your life and praising God for anything and everything you can. He truly is the Giver of all good gifts!
3 comments:
Okay wait a minute, earthworms and salamanders? I am having a hard time reconciling this Amy with the one who faints or hurls at the sight of blood and/or needles! Nonetheless I can truthfully say that I am thankful that you are in our lives and that Andrew didn't hesitate to sign up for a semester in Israel. On a day like today when I would normally be at work I remember always looking for an email from Israel or better yet, catch Andrew with Instant Messaging. It was this time of year that we first learned of this girl in Israel who was from the East and was my son's first (and last) girlfriend. As you said Amy, good memories. Love always, Mom
mike was pretty thrilled that clean-up crew made it on to your list. i asked him what it was, and he had me laughing so hard i was crying as he recounted the four of you running through the house, cleaning like mad.
haha... there is a HUGE difference between NEEDLES and salamanders. Salamanders are just slimy... and they stay outside of your body...
Of COURSE Clean-up crew would make it! I'm glad he related the stories to you and that you enjoyed them so much. I have really good memories of Clean-up crew with Mike :-D
Post a Comment