10.08.2007

Back . . . due to popular demand! (Or because of two comments)

All right already! I'll attempt to post a brief update today.

Wanting to appease the Santa Maria contingent of our family - and the fact that it's one of my favorite places in California - Amy and I left Liberty Christian School at 3:33pm in an attempt to beat the traffic and get to Santa Maria before it got too late. Amy drove the whole way, and although we got stuck in the usual persnickety jam prior to and on the Sepulveda Pass, we made quite good time, arriving at the Parkers' around 8:00pm. We had a good time eating with the family and catching up with Grandma, Aunt Tracy, Uncle Mel, Aunt Kathy, Jess, and the Best Man, Mike.

The next day we went to the Harvest Festival in good ol' Arroyo Grande. Although nowhere near as good as the annual Strawberry Festival, it was still a fun atmosphere. Mike had gotten there earlier in the morning to work crowd control as part of a volunteer event for the Santa Maria Police Academy. Amy and I got some pretty good (overpriced) kettle korn and looked at a few of the booths selling the normal Central Coast fare. There was even a Ron Paul for President booth. Things wrapped up pretty quickly, and the wonderful matriarch of the Aris family treated us to Marie Callender's in Pismo Beach. Incidentally, that was where Amy and I ate on our honeymoon!

Mike and I drove back to Santa Maria, watched some of the Cal-Oregon game, read and then went golfing at Sunset Ridge. It was windy, some sprinklers were on and our golf games (as usual) were at top performance. I believe we only lost about eight or nine balls to the "lakes." It was good time for best friends to catch up and talk about life. For the first time in recent memory, no one had to climb over the barbed wire fence to retrieve a slightly mis-hit ball.

While we were golfing, Amy and the womenfolk enjoyed their time at an apple farm or two. Some apple cider was purchased, among other things.

That night, Uncle Mel barbecued ribs, and of course, dinner was amazing. We had another good night of talking and hanging out and watching TV.

Sunday morning we got up and drove to Grandma's for waffles and turkey bacon before heading over to Grace Baptist Church for the morning worship service. There was good music and a good sermon on Sabbath rest. Interestingly, the youth pastor, Pastor James Barr, was about to practice his preaching by taking two months off for some rest and for some observation of other local youth ministry departments. We didn't stay for Sunday School and headed back to Pleasant Place (the street the Parkers live on).

And then we watched most of the Raider game. It was a beautiful thing to watch, because Raider victories have been few and far between in the last four seasons. After that, we headed home, and made in just a little over four hours!

This last weekend was a busy one as well. Amy left on Friday afternoon with more than twenty other ladies for Idyllwild in the mountains (not sure which range) for the annual women's retreat. They had a great time, and Amy especially enjoyed the colder weather (lower 40s, upper 30s!).

While those shenanigans were taking place, I headed up to Santa Clarita after the Liberty Christian Homecoming football game (Score? 54-0. Yeah, they lost.) Anyway, the 405 was great and I got to Brian, Nick and Travis' apartment around 11:15pm. I stayed up and talked with Brian and Travis until about 1:15am. I slept in Travis' sleeping bag on the couch and slept hard until about 8:30am. On Saturday, we played video games, watched TV and had brunch at IHOP. Then, I visited my college RD, Siona Savini and just talked for about two hours in his renovated and spacious apartment. After that, I headed over to 18726 Wellhaven St. to see my dad and Trevor. My mom was at Hume Lake for a ladies' retreat, and Scott was in Ontario, CA, for TMC's Outreach Week. Trev, Dad and I ate at Baja Fresh and then went to the SCCS football game. I got to talk with a bunch of people and had a great time. I left near the end of the game and got back to Westminster around 11:15pm.

Amy got back on Sunday at about 4:15 (I think) and we went to Costco and Stater Bros. before going home and fixing up the apartment. We also put up a wall cabinet above the toilet that looks real nice and adds a little bit of storage.

And now it's a new week and God is still on his throne, so let everything that has breath praise the Lord! (Psalm 150:6)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just wanted to say hi! so....HI!

Anonymous said...

I just got off the phone with you Andrew as you head off to pick apples. I wondered where Amy went with "the womenfolk" of Santa Maria when they went "to an apple farm or two". Did you go to Avila Valley Farms? I love all there jarred stuff, kitchen accessories, fresh produce and baked goods. Also, I'd like to hear about your ladies retreat Amy. Did you take pictures? Love, Mom