2.05.2007

A Sad 100th Post

Well, this is post number 100 for our blog. Unfortunately, it's going to be a sad one. Saturday morning found Amy and I in a church membership meeting at Village Bible Church. My phone was on silent for obvious reasons so I didn't notice that my brother Trevor had called a few times shortly before noon. The meeting ended at noon and Amy and I stopped at Big Lots to get some canned fruit. I noticed I had a voicemail from Trev, so I listened to it.

"Andrew, Gruden got hit by a car."

That was all he said.

For those of you who don't know, Gruden is the family dog. Maybe my mom can help me out here, but I don't remember what year we bought Gruden, but it was when I was in high school. My little brother Trevor had wanted a dog for several years before we finally got Gruden. Trevor named her after then-Oakland Raider coach Jon Gruden.

Gruden was a Black Lab and Australian Shepherd mix. She blended in well with our family because she was always full of energy and enthusiasm. She caused her fair share of problems but we all grew to love her. A few years ago she had a seizure one night and since then, she was on medicine to stop or lessen the severity of the seizures. She continued to have them, so my parents raised the dosage.

On Saturday morning, my dad was in the front yard doing some yard work. He let Gruden into the front yard so she could sniff around. A truck pulling a trailer came down the hill and Gruden decided to chase it. Apparently, the trailer ran Gruden over because my dad heard a "terrible" sound. He saw Gruden get back up and stagger back to the driveway where she collapsed. Dad said that he felt her heart beating but a little later saw her whole body just relax and go limp. Obviously, it was and is hard on my family, especially Trevor. My dad and Trevor took Gruden to the vet and said goodbye for the last time.

Goodbye Gruden. You were a good dog and a fun dog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Andrew. I didn't expect you to blog about Gruden and your last sentence made me cry.
Gruden was six years old and we had her for a little over 5 1/2 years. People at church say we should get another dog, but I am defintely not there yet. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Salutations to Gruden! Named for a traitor, yet honorable till the end! To good dogs, man's best friend!
~Mike

Jen said...

The last sentence mad me cry too! It flooded me with emotions of when my dog died! how sad! I am not a dog person. but a few have been special to me, and I think that is why I am not such a dog person anymore. It is just so sad when they die because they really are a part of the family.
Sorry for the loss Gilmore family.