I have decided not to pursue beginning the MABS (Master of Arts in Biblical Studies) program this summer. This decision has been about a month in the making. Several weeks ago I had a lengthy discussion with my boss, the principal of Liberty Christian School, Thom Doney. I'll spare you the details, but essentially he exhorted me to think about how much money it would cost to begin to do something that has a very limited professional field and wasn't something that I absolutely knew I should be doing for a forseeable goal.
In my own thinking, I had been adding up the cost to do this for the next 4-6 years. Ballpark figure was somewhere around $14,000. When people asked me why I wanted to do it, I never had a set-in-stone answer. I think that my conversation with Mr. Doney was exactly what I needed in order to think and pray and discuss with Amy what I wanted to do and what we needed to do.
So, that frees up a week this summer for work/vacation. It also allows me to possibly pursue some other classes that will probably be significantly cheaper and more immediate in their impact on my job. Right now, I'm taking a class from Fresno Pacific University called Teaching Elementary Physical Education. Because it is professional development, Liberty is paying for 75% of it. I have to read through a textbook, watch a video and fill out the notebook that comes with it, take inventory of my PE materials, and teach two specific lessons gleaned from the information learned in the class. Lord-willing, I will finish the class before summer and then take another course or two during the summer. But we'll see what the Lord has. He is so kind to me to give me so many options and so much wise and informed counsel. Praise the Lord!
6 comments:
I am still asked, by people at work/church, at least once a week how you are doing, how do you like teaching and married life, etc. I tell people that you really want to teach history, is that no longer correct? If an opening occurs to teach history at LCS will you go for it? Keep us informed. Love,
Mom
...again, i wonder: is Aunt Robin really having to get her information regarding her only son from his blog? and does she really have to address questions to his comment section?
Are you guys just not phone people?
~Mike
Interesting point, Mike. Sometimes, the internet is just easier and more convenient. Mom, I still want to teach history and Bible and said so on my letter of intent to work at LCS next year. So go ahead and keep telling people.
Mom said:
You would make a good academic teacher; it would be really cool for you to teach Bible.
Aunt Robin said:
Michael Melvin Parker! Do you phone us? Do you use the computer more? And, ahem, Andrew is not my only son, I have two more whom I talk to face to face (granted I live with one of them) Have a good weekend, stay dry!
I think we might have a brouhaha coming soon. It sounds like Mike and his Aunt Robin are about to come to blows over a simple blog.
Mike, my advice to you is watch out for your aunt's left-right combo. And as a certain legend once said, "Don't get cocky kid!"
Uncle Don
Aunt Robin is as scary as Rubber Ducky. Sure she has a nice combo, but she's a paper tiger! one swift uperrcut and she's down for the count. And, Dear Aunt Robin, thanks for using my full name in your comment. I certainly hope individuals with malicious intent dont use it for their evil plans. Whats next, my social security number?
Hey Amy! how ya doing?
~Mike
Post a Comment