11.15.2006

Writer's block

I opened this post and have been staring at it for a good five minutes with nothing to type.

All I can think about right now is Christmas. In light of that, I'm going to make a list of my favorite Christmas traditions and the things I like about the Christmas season in general (in NO particular order):

1. Christmas music!!!
2. Baking Christmas cookies (Mom, I need your German recipes!)
3. Decorating with red & green, lights and sparkly things
4. Getting a Christmas tree to decorate
5. Wrapping paper & bows
6. Giving presents to people that you know they will love
7. Sending out Christmas cards
8. Christmas music!!!
9. Cold weather (not so apparent in southern CA, but still it's cooler than the rest of the year
10. Time spent with family
11. Hats, scarves, gloves, warm socks, sweaters
12. Those clay-mation TV movies for little kids--Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, etc. (I LOVE them!)
13. Christmas music!!!
14. Watching A Christmas Story
15. Snuggling in a blanket by the fire (I'm not so sure this will happen very often anymore)
16. Playing in the snow (Again, I'm not so sure this will happen very often anymore)
17. Drinking hot chocolate or tea--especially after playing in the snow!
18. Christmas dinner... YUM!
19. Slippers & warm PJs
20. Christmas music!!!

The ironic thing about my preoccupation with Christmas today is the weather. It's supposed to be in the high 70s and possibly low 80s with sunny skies. So while I sit here gazing at the sun shining brightly, I'm daydreaming about snow falling, Christmas music and everything else I just listed.

But, since it seems I'll be living in CA for a while I think I need to get used to California's Christmas season, which is why I have a question for our Californian readers. What are your favorite Christmas traditions?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Northern California has much more of a winter than we get down here, so my holiday memories, while not snowy, were still stormy and cold. I spent Christmas one year in Chile and it was in the 90s there. In spite of the heat, it was very festive and I remember that people went crazy with the decorations. Tons of lights.

Anonymous said...

I love sitting in my room with the window open listening to the snow.... or i guess listening to the lack of sound.... i dont think there is anything quieter than a snowy day :)

Anonymous said...

The massive pile of Christmas Presents in front of Grandma's tree; saving the orange couch in the back (ask your husband); and Disneyland (my family always goes around christmas time)
~Mike

Anonymous said...

Well, with your good cousin gone cross country for Christmas this year, who will you pick to join you on the orange couch this year? Trevor? Scott? Your favorite Uncle Don?

Uncle Don
(Inspired by Trevor Gilmore)

Anonymous said...

I will withold that decision until closer to Christmas Gilmores. But all canidates will be given sufficient thought.
~Parker

Jen said...

Well, am I allowed to post even though I am on the other side of the country, where we actually have snow (and lots of it)? I love baking my Christmas goodies while watching "It's a Wonderful Life" ahhh...next week!! :) it actally looked and smelled like it was going to snow yesterday. Maybe Friday!