Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude. See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
From the start of the lesson we talked about different ways we can "walk in Him" as Christians. While many thoughtful and true examples came up, no one said anything about being thankful. I suppose that made it all the more impactful when Ron pointed out this short phrase at the end of verse 7. Why is it that gratitude should be so apparent in the lives of Christians?
My thoughts on the matter--I have someone to be thankful to. I know that there is a God and that He is the giver of all good gifts. I know that even "my" skills are from my Maker. He blesses me so abundantly, yet I gripe and complain because I don't have what I think I want. But He knows me better than anyone else. Psalm 139 tells me that He is "intimately acquainted with all my ways" and "in [His] book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them."
I have so much to be grateful for which is why I ask myself what it means to be overflowing with gratitude. Must I always have a cheesy (sometimes fake) smile on my face because life is just peachy-keen? Should I shelter myself as much as possible from the suffering of this world so that I am blissful in my ignorance? I think that it means I must choose to see the good that God seeks to accomplish in and through every situation (cf. Rom. 8:28). I think it means that I choose to remember that God is good and sovereign--at the same time. I don't need to have all the answers. He has a plan, it is perfect, and if it seems bad or wrong to me I'm not seeing it from His perspective and I'm not thanking Him for what He is doing.
Of course much more can be (and has been more eloquently) written about this subject. I thought I'd share some of the things the Lord has been teaching me (this ties in wonderfully with what I've been reading in the book of Job). I'd love to hear/read any questions or comments this might bring up. Have a blessed week!
No comments:
Post a Comment