Is there really such a thing? Are there really moments where a parent thinks "Hey, I'm doing a good job at this child-rearing thing"? It has happened, on occasion, that something I was attempting in the parenting realm actually worked. But my response is more one of surprise than of bolstering my confidence as a parent. Is it just a matter of finding the right method? Doesn't every doctor tell you that every child is different? Does that mean you have to change your method with each child? What if one method traumatizes my child? Is it all trial and error in hoping your child doesn't turn out to be a horrible person???
Now insert Christianity. I know that there are principles in the Bible regarding parenting. Not to mention the fact that the character traits that the Lord is developing in the lives of His children are also traits we can seek to instill in our children. But I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the Bible about potty training or weaning or introducing solid food or offering utensils at meals or getting rid of the bottle and using a sippy cup or whether you even DO use a sippy cup...
I've been blessed to watch several Christian couples seek to raise their family in a godly way. Mainly I've been observing from the "child" side of the equation, but in the last couple years my perspective has drastically changed. It's pretty amazing how the Lord works to change the PARENTS of the child as soon as that little one enters the world, but it's also a pretty sobering realization when there are two lines on that little at-home test (I think especially for the mom). More than once I've wondered, "Lord, are you sure I can do this?"
I love my daughter (soon-to-be daughterS) but, man, there are times when I just can't stand her. Thankfully those times are few and far between, and often related to the amount of sleep I've gotten--or haven't gotten. And even more thankfully, "The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, 'therefore I will hope in him'" (Lamentations 3:22-24).
After a particularly frustrating occasion with Alice, I found myself pondering all this, but the Lord brought to my mind the fact that He is MUCH bigger than any method that anyone advocates. He already has every day of Alice's life planned out and no amount of my sinfulness will thwart His plans for her. I pray that my parenting is a help, not a hindrance in her life. I pray for patience and perseverance with her in those challenging times. I pray that the examples of her daddy and mommy lead her fall on her knees before the Lord Jesus Christ and admit her sinful condition and need for Him to save her. What a privilege it is to be her mommy and bring these requests before a Heavenly Father who listens and cares and has the love and wisdom and power to accomplish that which we pray for.
3 comments:
glad to read these words of wisdom! thanks, amy. :)
that was actually becca...
Love this Amy! I just noticed you had a blog and wanted to check it out. I can totally relate to what you are saying. Thanks for sharing!
-Becky
Post a Comment