7.06.2011

What I Listen To, part 2


My friend Eric Durso asked in a comment on the first post in this series how and when I listen to these podcasts. Before I move on to the next post in this series, I decided to answer those important questions so you could understand the context in which I listen to the podcasts I listen to and endorse.

My wife and some friends and family got me an iPod Classic for my birthday in 2007. Since then, I've consistently listened to thousands of sermons, most of them via podcasts. I had a cable installed in our Toyota Corolla that connects with our stereo, which is mp3 enabled. This way, I've been able to plug in my iPod and listen to podcasts while in the car. Almost all the time that I'm in the car by myself, I'm listening to a podcast. Depending on the semester, I spend a considerable amount of time driving to and from Biola University, which gives me about twenty minutes one way to listen to podcasts.

The other times in my life that I get a good chunk of listening time in is when I'm doing certain tasks around the apartment like washing the dishes or doing laundry. If I'm washing the dishes, I have the iPod in the docking station. When I'm doing the laundry, I normally have headphones on. I also sometimes listen to podcasts in my office at church. If I'm disciplined and am working out, that is another good time to listen to podcasts.

A caution needs to be noted here. There have been times where I have listened to podcasts too much and have ignored or drowned out Amy and/or Alice. This is not a good thing. I have to remind myself when it is appropriate and helpful to listen to podcasts and when it is inappropriate and unhelpful to be listening to podcasts. It is rare that listening to podcasts at home when the family together is a helpful thing.

No comments: