1.29.2008

2007 Reading

I have failed. A year after first accomplishing my goal to read at least 50 books a year, 2007 was a failure, as was 2005. Ah well, 2008's off to a great start! Look through the list and tell me what you think!

1. The Testament by John Grisham
2. The Heavenly Man by Brother Yun with Paul Hattaway
3. Tempest by Troy Denning
4. Pursuing Holiness in the Lord by Jonathan Edwards
5. What Jesus Demands From the World by John Piper
6. Love That Lasts by Gary and Betsy Ricucci
7. The Pelican Brief by John Grisham
8. His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis
9. Whale Done: The Power of Positive Relationships by Ken Blanchard
10. Surprised by Joy by C. S. Lewis
11. The Last Christian Generation by Josh McDowell
12. Vienna Prelude by Bodie Thoene
13. Exile by Aaron Allston
14. Kingdom of Priests: A History of Old Testament Israel by Eugene Merrill
15. The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels by Thomas Cahill
16. Dawn by Elie Wiesel
17. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
18. Going Places with God: A Devotional Journey Through the Lands of the Bible by Wayne Stiles
19. Aces: The Last Season on the Mound with the Oakland A’s Big Three by Mychal Urban
20. Tamerlane: Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World by Justing Marozzi
21. Humility by Andrew Murray
22. Prague Counterpoint by Bodie Thoene
23. The Summons by John Grisham
24. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
25. God’s Passion For His Glory by John Piper
26. The Legacy Of Sovereign Joy by John Piper
27. Moneyball by Michael Lewis
28. A Godly Hero: The Life of William Jennings Bryan by Michael Kazin
29. Allegiance by Timothy Zahn
30. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
31. The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis
32. Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage in the Bible by Jay Adams
33. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
34. Preaching the Cross by Mark Dever, et al.
35. Munich Signature by Bodie Thoene
36. Searching For God Knows What by Don Miller
37. The Giver by Lois Lowry
38. Let The Nations Be Glad! By John Piper
39. Sacrifice by Karen Traviss
40. Inferno by Troy Denning
41. The Assassins by Bernard Lewis
42. Suffering and the Sovereignty of God ed. John Piper and Justin Taylor
43. Trusting God by Jerry Bridges
44. A Murder of Quality by John Le Carre
45. Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God by C.J. Mahaney
46. The Parables by Gary Inrig
47. Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Non-Fiction - 29
Fiction - 18

7 comments:

~~~ said...

did a favorite emerge?

the Rehrers said...

Happy,

Congrats on your acceptance! I would start with #45 on your book list. I would add Borden's biography to the list.

Matt

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Who is Borden? Could he be the Stinger? Also, A.J., do you have a method to your madness of reading, like a system?
For instance, I read a presidential biography, then a book on theology or Christian living, followed by fiction, and finally, Christian biography. Then I repeat the cycle.

Dad

Happy said...

Raphaelle, I can't really say there was a clear-cut favorite. I enjoyed every book!

Matt, who is Borden?

Dad, I highly doubt it's Sting. And clearly from the list, you can see that there is absolutely no method. For example, right now I'm reading No Country For Old Men. Why? Well, because I usually stand (or crouch) in front our bookshelves and scan almost every title before I decide to dive in. In my head I do think about what I have read recently so as to not camp out in one genre for too long.

the Rehrers said...

http://www.amazon.com/Borden-Yale-Faith-Howard-Taylor/dp/1556610149/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201811085&sr=8-3

Here is the link the book I was referencing. I read it a couple years ago, and it is one of my favorite biographies.

Anonymous said...

nice list of books, happy! i just finished reading The Kite Runner and can't wait to read A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author!another great one is Endurance by alfred lansing about earnest shackleton's trek in the antarctic.

E DURSO said...

this blog inspired me to come back to the blogging world.
And to set a reading goal.