9.10.2010

The Not-As-Old Age-Old Story

The title isn't referring to the "old, old story,/How a Savior came from glory," but to the seemingly eternal debate between Calvinism and Arminianism. So often it's not put in those terms, but involves vitriol and disgust over terms like "free will," "predestination," "election," "prevenient grace" and the like.

I've declared myself to be a Calvinist many times and mainly read books and listen to sermons by Calvinists. And however much I believed in reading and listening to those I disagree with, I haven't practiced that very consistently. Okay, so not really at all!

That is going to change and part of the way I am endeavoring to change by reading Arminian Theology by Roger E. Olson. I'm only on page 30, but so far it has already been helpful to read the views of someone on the other side of this intramural debate. I think that Roger Olson is a brother in Christ and loves God with all his heart. His tone is irenic, but he is not willing to become a doormat for Calvinists either. I appreciate that very much.

I'm also reading Radical by David Platt. It's currently ranked #27 on all of amazon.com! The book's subtitle is "taking back your faith from the American Dream," an apropo title to worry this reader who grew up in a wealthy Los Angeles suburb. I love David Platt's preaching and listen to his podcast religiously. I would already encourage to pick up this book and read it. It's fairly amazing/amusing to me that a book about a young man who downsized his house and regularly calls people to give most of their money away has made it on the New York Times Bestseller List.

Have a good weekend!

No comments: