9.25.2009

The little things...

First off, I realized that we never posted on our blog that I'm pregnant :-) Really. I am. This isn't a joke. I know it's not a joke because I threw up, ironically mainly in the morning, once each day since Tuesday. Today has been a bit of a fluke since I haven't spent any time with my head in the bowl, but I'm definitely not complaining.

Secondly, and the real reason for this post, was to share my joy in the little things that the Lord provides. This morning my Aunt Laura called me after we've played a long game of phone tag (perhaps two weeks now). It's been a blessing to keep in better contact with her since our visit to the East coast in June. Part of our conversation was talking about finances with a baby on the way. I shared that I am mostly excited and confident that the Lord will provide, but I have my what-if days. She encouraged me with what she tells her two daughters, "Somehow it always works out." I'm thankful to serve a God who does always work it out, whether through trials and difficulty or through orchestrating events in a surprisingly pleasant way. He knows just what He's doing and it is exactly what is best.

After such a lovely conversation on my ride to work I realized that I still was feeling good (as in, not queasy) and thanked the Lord for that and my aunt's call. Since then, the day has been fairly uneventful as I've had an abundance of energy (which is abnormal) and been able to get much done. The next little thing came when I was supposed to be taking my lunch but working through it because food didn't sound pleasant. At about 12:20 someone came in with Chinese food and it smelled SO good. Unfortunately, I needed to be at the front desk answering phones at 12:30 and didn't have time to go get food. Chagrinned, I came downstairs to relieve Kelly from her phone duties thinking maybe I might convince her to stay a few minutes longer so I could run and get food. Here's how the exchange went:

Amy (carrying a bunch of papers and work to do at the front desk): Are you ready, Kelly?
Kelly: Oh! I'm so sorry! It smells a lot like Chinese food! I don't want to make you sick!
Amy: No worries, I've REALLY been craving it since Alicia brought it upstairs.
Kelly: Really?? Do you want some of mine? They gave me WAY too much!
Amy: YES!!! I would LOVE some!!! You just made my day!
Kelly: Okay, just take this (handing me her to-go box FULL of chow mein) to the kitchen and get a plate and take what you want. Thanks! I thought I was going to have to throw a bunch away!
Amy: Kelly, you are my best friend right now. Seriously. I'm so excited for this chow mein.

I know, I'm a huge dork. But I walked away thinking I have nothing to fear because my God will take care of me... Even when I don't think it's "important" enough to ask. Yeah, it's been a good day all because of the little things...

5 comments:

Travis Dalton said...

YAY!! We are sooo excited for you guys! And now that it's out in the open I can make comments on your facebook :)

Hope you have more days like this in your first trimester :)

-K. Dalton

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you were sick this week, but sounds like you are managing it. A lady at work this week was talking about grandchildren and asked me when I was going to become a grandparent. I said, "next May". She was soooooo excited for me. She promptly left the workroom and told some people who came right to me to congratulate me and she keeps calling me Grandma ("she" is Linda Harris, Andrew). Okay, off to make some homemade pizza for dinner, something I couldn't eat the first few months of my pregnancy with Andrew! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

oh geeze

wendy said...

Congratulations Amy!

Unknown said...

whoohoo! i had a really encouraging conversation with my aunt the other night, too! so neat to see how God provides even with chow mein. :D