Unfortunately, there have been many "scare" e-mails about The Golden Compass being floated among Christian circles. I believe I've received two of them so far. Basically, they are screaming about the horrible message of the movie, the book it's based on, and most especially the author. I've learned more about this movie in recent days and also about Philip Pullman's trilogy, His Dark Materials, and I agree that the message is a terrible message that completely contrasts with my Christian worldview. However, I don't want to descend to the level of a boycott. Almost all boycotts seem to draw the wrong conclusions with how to deal with something that you disagree with. I would guess that most people who join a public boycott do so on hearsay and perhaps some false or distorted information.
I think it is the duty of a Christian to engage the culture and not shrink away in disgust, as if say that the culture is sinful and disgusting while ignoring my own sin. So, because I have not (yet) read Pullman's trilogy or seen the movie - which comes out in theaters nationwide on Friday - I want to give what I believe is a fair and knowledgeable review of the movie, the books and the man. Dr. Mohler has read the trilogy twice through and saw the movie at a special pre-screening recently. Here's his take.
Also, take a look at the hot-off-the-press Daily Presidential Tracking Poll from Rasmussen Reports. In a crazy development, Huckabee has surged in the last week, displacing Giuliani on top of the polls.
2 comments:
Hey! I just wrote about the Golden Compass boycott too!
It is pretty anti-Church...
Hope you guys are well. Christmas is right around the corner! Ack!
Happy...shut up! :) hey man how you doing? so i've heard this and i think i have the same perspective as you...anyways hope your doing well...you are looking mighty fine my friend!
Post a Comment